Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Changes ... Decisions

When I look at how long ago my last post was, specifically the date, I'm not surprised. Less than a week after that, I started taking classes to earn the credits necessary to keep my certification active. I was able to complete what most people have 5 years to do in 13 weeks. I am very thankful that God enabled me to do this.

It was hard, but I'm in a position now where I can apply for full-time jobs or long-term sub jobs (both of which I have done), or, at the very least, sub more than 90 days per school year.

One of the things that God showed me during the craziness of January-May was the fact that the past two years were a bit of a struggle. Not so much with what I was doing, but with what I wasn't doing because I either didn't have time or I was exhausted. There was also a lot of frustration in me because of what I wasn't doing. Nothing earth-shattering, mind you .... just simple things - like taking care of my home, cooking, doing crafts. But these are the things that I love to do.

I just figured that this was the way it was going to be - I had my season as a homemaker, and now I was in a different season of life.

But a funny thing happened on the way to Lancaster a few weeks ago. You see, I had always said that if I got a full-time teaching job I would quit teaching piano because I wouldn't have time, etc. But very soon into that drive I said to Don, "What if I quit anyway?" The more we talked, the more it seemed like the right thing to do. But then we got back from the trip and I was back into it. Don't get me wrong - I was still resolved to do it, but I hadn't done it yet, so it wasn't real. I was still teaching lessons every week and preparing my students for the recital.

Well, the recital was last Friday (6/1).  And I'm done. And it's wonderful. I haven't told the students and their parents yet - I didn't want it to affect the recital, which, by the way, was very good and very satisfying. I have told the few that have asked that I'm not doing summer lessons this year. I will be contacting everyone in a week or so to let them know, so please don't mention anything on Facebook.  I know that most of them will be disappointed - I was down to five students, but I've had those five girls for anywhere from 3-8 years.

But God wasn't finished yet ....!

I'd been toying with the idea of maybe not singing with the Washington County Arts Choir anymore, but had been undecided. I even thought maybe I'd go through the Christmas concert, since I love Christmas music.

Last night we had our annual meeting. I went into it with an attitude of having the meeting/discussion (there were some difficulties, etc that needed to be addressed) be something that would help me evaluate how I really feel about it. It was VERY clear to me before that meeting was over (thank you, Lord!) that I was done. In fact, when we got into the car, the first thing I said to Don was "Elvis has left the building" (me, of course, being Elvis ..)

Wow ... another "extra" thing - done.

And would you believe there's one more? For the past three years, I've been a homeschool evaluator. I thought that it would be a lucrative side job - my evaluator that I used had LOTS of students to evaluate. Well, I've only had one or two per year - it was always more of a nuisance than anything else. So on the way home last night from the choir meeting, I decided that I'm going to do the two evaluations I have scheduled for next week, and then I will take my name off the websites I've used, and I will be finished with that.


I was downright giddy last night.

So .... as of June 14, I will be a sub (unless I'm a full-time music teacher) and that is it. I will take care of my home, cook, do crafts .... all the things I love.

6 comments:

  1. I am SO happy for you. This has me teary eyed reading it and KNOWING it all is God's doing and what you need. You deserve the time that will open up. I'm giddy for you too. (and excited to see the craftiness you will now have the time to do!) :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. I got teary eyed reading that YOU were teary eyed ... :o)

      Delete
  2. So proud of you, Aunt Patty!!! These are good changes for sure! You work very hard, you deserve to have some time to do things you like. :)
    And...you're better looking than Elvis, too! Well, old Elvis at least. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacki! I really appreciate your comments ... especially the Elvis one, LOL!

      Delete
  3. I'm typing with one hand and M in the other. I felt the stress just lift off your shoulders as I read. Congrats! Enjoy yourself and this new found peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! You are so right about the stress lifting. And it came at a great time - I'll have the summer to enjoy, and then be ready to jump back into teaching in whatever capacity God has for me.

      Delete