Wednesday, June 22, 2016

PCA General Assembly 2016 - Mobile, AL - Day 1

Have I mentioned that I LOVE General Assembly? I really do. It is a highlight of the year for me whenever I go.

We left our room to go to breakfast this morning. As we walked through the hotel lobby, it's exciting to see lots of people that are there for the same reason. While we're walking from one place to another, I'm usually looking around for someone I know. In the elevator, I'm checking out people's tags to see where they're from. It's usually a conversation starter.

We didn't have to wait long to start running into people we knew. Walking down the street in downtown Mobile, we saw a couple we've known from when Don was finishing seminary in Miami, FL from 1981-1983. The man was the pastor of the church in Miami where Don was an intern. We chatted with them for a few minutes, then kept walking.

We were standing outside of a coffee shop where we ended up having breakfast, looking at the menu on the window. Don noticed, sitting inside the shop, having breakfast with his teenage daughter, the pastor of the PCA church in Eighty Four, PA (right down the road from us!) After breakfast, as we were leaving, we saw and chatted with a guy that we knew when we were in West Chester, PA.

This kind of stuff goes on continually - happy reunions, followed by catching up. It's truly a blessing to hear how God is working in people's lives. 


We attended some great seminars today, There are so many good choices, and sometimes it was hard to make a decision. We chose ones that we felt were things that would be helpful for us in our own church and community. We don't always attend seminars together, but today we did. 

Another place to run into people is the Exhibit Hall. This is a large area where various ministries and agencies have booths set up, with people available to talk and/or give you information on their particular group. There is also a bookstore set up. But it's a great place to stop and chat as well.

The evening session tonight began with a pre-worship concert. They were a very gifted group of musicians. Then the worship service began. It is really wonderful to be together with such a large group, singing, reading Scripture, praying, and taking the Lord's Supper together. The outgoing Moderator gave a message on Habakkuk 3:16-19. Great encouragement and exhortation.

After the worship service, a new Moderator for this year was elected.

Tomorrow will be a slightly different kind of day for both Don and me ... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment